TRIBAL COUNCIL BUSINESS
Mendota Dakota Mdewakanton Tribal Community Discussion Federal Recognition Meeting Press Release
If the video doesn’t work, or if you prefer to download it, here is the video hosted in Zoom:
Press Release 6/21/2021
Reply to us as to what you think of the video?
Thank you Greg Strandmark Historian and Sharon Lennartson Tribal Chairwoman.
I will add more names of people to thank, soon as I complete the list.
Wacipi Notes that Sharon has done for our 21st Wacipi Sept 7 – 13.
- I ask Star Tribune to advertise our Wacipi. Done
- Pioneer Press too. Done
- We got a $5,000 donations, and a $350.00. Done
- Joe got another grant for panels for pow wow for $2,5000, we have not received the check yet. Done
- We will use square or something like that for Visa Cards. Done
- Sharon must approve everything first at the Wacipi. Done
- Tommy and Jason Hop only oversee the Wacipi Security. Done
- Marie will oversee all volunteers. Done
- Mountain Iron Buhl School Indian Education Community ED. Stary Gallus may bring kids down for Wacipi? They have to come while classes are in session, not over the summer. Done
- Shawn film Radio.
- Find Radio and T.V stations to advertise. Done
- Covid precautions? Done
- Anita Gate has some vegetables. Done
- We need lots of vegetables. Who can get more vegetable? Done
- Keep everything in boxes they came in for storage in pods. KEEP BOXES
- Wi-fi for Carlisle Indian School 3 people coming from Pennsylvania we will provide everything for them, big canopy at least two and 2 maybe 3 table, generator, whatever they need.
- Missing and Murdered Indigenous Woman will have a booth. Done
- Two new 20×40 canopy no more water leaks for kitchen ONLY.
- Ordered 8 more signs 12 x 18. Done
- Get kitchen set up work areas security job and volunteers Wed Sept 7.
- Clean all appliances asap volunteers and security get plugged in by Sept 7.
- When we get different frig & freezer keep at office at office? Plug in by Aug 15th. Jason Hop will get the appliances. Unless someone else finds one.
- Map of kitchen Joe. Done
- Map vendors Joe. Done
- Order 3 more flags Joe. Done
- Crafts for kids, Greg has some drum kits for kids. Done
- Better headsets.
- Fanny packs for security?
- May have a live eagle, Tommy and I are working on that. The eagle is expense $498.00 for one hour.
- Moccasin tournament.
- Some other dance specials.
- Get teepees setup Sept 7, security, and volunteers.
- Get garbage bags out all over, Security and Volunteers Sept 10. Get some garbage cans out by Sept 7th.
- Put sinks all around toilets and kitchen area. Ordered two more.
- We only need two toilets from Sept 7-9 then the others will be delivered on the 10th. Done
- Ordered pods to be delivered on Sept 7th. Tommy and Jason have the contract numbers.
- Wipe everything down all over for Wacipi. volunteers, constantly.
- Make checks to MMDTC, 1351- Sibley Memorial Hwy- Mendota MN, 55150.
- On the buttons this year will be Lisa Bellanger and Dave Carson our head dancers. Done
- Big sign for people who donated to the Wacipi. Done
- Hang pictures up on fence like at the Gathering last Sept.
- We need at least 20 cases of pop diet & regular you can get donations for pop too.
- Get camper from Steve or John?
- Water by podium keep cold, make sure there is always water in cooler. Volunteers
- Two lines for kitchen and condiments both sides. Tommy, Jason H, Volunteers.
- Ordered 9 pans of meat. Sharon Done
- Order xxx large garbage bags Sharon. Done
- St Peters said we can use their garbage again. Done
- Recycle guy may get us supplies from the city? Sharon
- Call for Pow wow Insurance Sharon. Done
- Helpersâ€™ volunteers for feast Friday night & Sunday. Maria, Roxanne B, Lyn, Josine.
- Need water at least 30 cases like always. Maybe 10 cases more?
- Marie from Cherokee Park United Church has another church to help with feast on Sunday.
- Call or email Marie for volunteersâ€™ jobs, she could use help calling volunteers 651-239-5163 firstname.lastname@example.org Maria please send me the volunteers list from last year
- We have about 25 volunteers so far I will get you there information to Maria.
- Maria and I went through the volunteer list update everyone, that took two hours.
- Jyni Koschak email@example.com cell or work 612-704-6116
- Called Jyni (Volunteers of American) she is on the calling list. Done
- Maria you should talk to her to from the Volunteers of American great gal.
- If you have volunteers in mind, they need to let Maria know starting Now August 1St.
- Keep anyone not working out of kitchen. I will have signs. Done
- Sign In will be separate from kitchen. Trying to have the kitchen more open. Outside behind kitchen by security, will be vendors and volunteers.
- I will send kitchen map and vendors map soon. Almost Done
- Make eating area bigger.
- Kitchen will be bigger, less things in kitchen.
- Volunteers for feast Friday night 4 people. Maria
- Volunteer job for helping kids bead. Maria
- Volunteers to put kids teepee up. Maria
- Security Flags up.
- Security make sure toilets have lights all 10. Especially the toilets in the back.
- Volunteers to take down all signs and lights on toilets when Wacipi is over after 6 on Sept 12. Give to Sharon.
- Volunteers make sure elders get water.
- Permit Jason Delmont by August 15 no later.
- Signs up Jason D and security.
- Get signs up by August 15 around Mendota. The rest by Sept 7-9.
- Have Wacipi meeting NOW.
- Mary Armstrong said she has maybe 15 foreign students maybe more.
- 1 new small refrigerator, 1 new freezer. The other ones are 20 years old, leak, smell. We will give then away or bring to the dump. Someone may like one for the garage give us a call if you want them. We will have 2 refrigerates and 2 freezers like always.
- $2,000 from Riverboat Gaming.
- $750.00 from Leach Lake.
- $500.00 from Mille Lac Band of Ojibwe.
- Michael Lamay sent our 144 donations from tribals in the U.S. Six have come back. I hope there will be more. Just to have a relationship with them.
- We got a donation from one of the letters Mike send out. From the Yavapa Tribe, Prescott AZ for $1,000.00. Good job Mike.
- Lecelia and Romelle Ogenina 218-308-1912 sister to cook frybread. They will help run the kitchen. They are coming from Leech Lake. We are paying for the rooms. They came to our gathering.
- Connie will make 20 tubs of fry bread. Done
- Mike will make 4 tubs. Done
- Oneida Tribal Council turned us down for donation May 19, 2021.
- Peter 651-905-4307 from St Peters Church is the contact person.
- Jason got wood for fire. Done
- Pow Wow Panels 34×81. We donâ€™t need 18, probably 10.
- We will honor St Thomas and Mike and Amy and students.
- Crafts for kids we need beads. volunteers
- Rate rooms from $109.00 to $64.00 rooms for helpers out of town. You must mention Mendotadakota to get the discount. Sharon Done
- Email Woman foundations volunteers.
- Email any native foundations for donations & volunteers.
- Security people 6 only,
- Kalpulli dancers between the around 5:30ish on Sat.
- And of course, our regular wonderful vendors who come each year.
- Thank you to all our volunteers.
- Chrysalis womenâ€™s group. Sharon
- Mike LeMay may bring Salmon for Wacipi.
- Big posters for all our Wacipis we have had since 2000.
- Native Radio up north kOJB Tommy. Done
- Pioneer Press Sharon. Done
- Channel 2 or any Channel. Volunteers can call to see if we can get some airtime.
- Minnesota Explore Joe. Done
- Call Molly, and other vendors Sharon. Done
- Susu, Coldwater will have a booth. Done
- Called Molly. No reply yet.
- Ordered polo shirts. Done
- Mikes book for Mendota will be at Wacipi?
- Sharon will donate her own Jewerly with buttons while supplies last.
- If anyone has any jewelry, they want to donate please call Sharon.
- Volunteers for raffle booth we need 6 people.
- Blue Loom vendor.
- Hot dog vendor
- Lemonade vendor
- We have 15 vendors so far.
- Make flyers. Done
- Make bigger signs. Done
- Called vendors. Sharon Done
- Ordered 2 more tents. Done
- 4 new vendors have called.
- Called T.V and Radio Stations. Done
- Ask members to get donations or gift cards.
- Ask for donations from any Churches anywhere. I have the request for donations and Wacipi flyer to give to them. Both are on or website. Mendotadakota.com
- Volunteers to cut fish.
- Volunteers (runners) to pick up ice from Arbyâ€™s and other supplies we may need.
- Donation signs.
- Volunteers for application for honorary and linear members.
- Volunteers for sign in Maria.
- Volunteers for guest sign in.
- Are done and corrected. Done
- Ordered new toilets, another place, prices went up too much. Ordered 8 reg, 2 handicaps. May order a third handy cab for changing into regalia.
- Make sign for the toilet for changing into regalia. Not to be used for a toilet.
- Cancelled Fun Jump.
- Ordered 4 Canopies from Walmart since we cancelled Fun Jump.
- Kitchen map is done.
- Vendorâ€™s map is done.
- Maria and Sharon got the calling list updated took two hours.
- T shirts have been ordered. Done
- Thank you, cards. Done
- Pods are coming Sept 7th around 11:00ish. Done
- We will be using St Peters Garbage. Done
- Signs in kitchen how to make Indian Taco.
- Get water from St Peters, get 2 hoses if we can.
- Set up Button booth first thing Sept 10th.
- Orientation in kitchen. Maria or Lyni.
- Maria will call Joy to get some details about the kitchen.
- Must get hi speed Internet now.
- Called St Peters about internet.
- We have plenty of aprons. Done
- Cancelled Wacipi meeting on July 25. Next one on Sunday night at 6 Aug 1st . Watch for zoom invite.
- Get more gloves we will go through lots od groves and wipes.
- I ordered lots of wipes.
- Please check out our flyer as it has changed a few times.
- Greg needs help in the podium with the sound system. He needs a break from time to time.
- Greg also needs help with lights.
- We need suggestion and your input on the Wacipi.
A new folder containing files, documents, images, etc. has been created and can be viewed in the DOWNLOADS & DOCS folder.
HONORARY APPLICATION FEB 2020Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 04-20-2020.
Prospective Honorary Members:
This application is for people who would like to be part of a Native American Community.
We are your local Native American Community. Our roots go back hundreds of years in this area.
If you would like to be part of our Mendota Community, please fill out the application.
We would love to have you join us.
We have our monthly meetings at the DuPuis House.
Many of us are related to Angelique Renville and Hypolite DuPuis. LeClaire, Felix,
Renville, Fernier, Campbell, Turpin, LeMay, Auge, LaBatte, Robinette,
Newcomb, Perron,Â DuPuis,Â Cermak, Leith,Â Sherry,Â LaCroix,Â Frazier,
Faribault, Crooks, DuFour, Coursolle.
Some of us are cousin to Chief Little Crow from the 1862 Sioux Uprising.
Pidamaya means thanks you Dakota, (Thank You) English.
The Mendota Tribal Council and The Mendota Mdewakanton Dakota Tribal Community Members.
Our 21st (Wacipi) Dakota, (Pow Wow) in English is Sept 11-13-20 at St. Peters Church, in Mendota.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME BRING THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS, PLEASE PASS THE WORD.
Sharon Lennartson: Tribal Chairwoman
John Leclaire: Vice Chairman
Joe Lennartson: Assisted Treasurer
Jason Delmont: Secretary
Greg Standmark: Historian
Hot off the presses, and perhaps a bit late, here’s the 2018 Winter edition Mendota Dakota Tribal Community Newsletter.
Find it and all our other newsletters at www.mendotadakota.com/newsletter
Important Message and legal disclosureÂ for Inactive Members:
Members who have inactive status were sent letters to their last known address. Â Along with sending a letter, an announcement has been made in our newsletter,Â to our facebook page and to our website alerting them and describing their options. Â Inactive members have 30 days to respond or their membership, after 30 days will be removed. If you are inactive or think you may be, please contact the office ASAP.
Phone: 651- 452-4141Â Email:Â firstname.lastname@example.org
Removal of inactive members after two years of not paying dues, or any involvement with the community, will go to the tribal council & voting members who are active to voted to remove these inactive members. YOU MUST BE ACTIVE TO VOTE.
Sharon Lennartson Tribal Chairwoman
Chris Antiel Vice Chairperson
Marlene Dixon Treasurer / Secretary
Perry Altendorfer Historian
Lon Navarre Member at Large
John LeClaire Member at Large
Jim Anderson Cultural Advisor