Need help with Fed Recognition & grants
We are looking for some help with Federal Recognition, and grants if you can help us please call us. 651-452-4141
Dear Academic and Student Affairs Administrator, and others.
I am writing on behalf of the Mendota Mdewakanton Dakota Community.Â We are a 501 C-3 non-profit organization, ID #41563.Â Our mission is to preserve, protect, and promote the Dakota culture for current and future generations.
We are reaching out to local colleges to see if you could possibly help us.Â We are a very poor community and are in great need of a volunteer intern.Â In particular, we are looking for a college student who would like to gain some experience in researching and writing grant proposals.Â We are in need of money for the following purposes:
- Capital Campaign – Within the next 5 years we will be raising money to purchase a small property in Mendota or Mendota Heights so that we can have our own office and community center.Â We have been renting, however, new owners asked us to vacate the property so that they could tear it down.
- Develop classes to teach the Dakota language, culture, crafts and traditions to our members and others who are interested
- Develop programs and support initiatives to preserve our history and sacred land.
- Support our annual Wacipi (Pow Wow) to bring American Indians and friends of our community together.
- Conduct research and support our efforts for State and/or Federal recognition.
There is much for us to do and we would greatly appreciate your help.Â Could you publish this need on your website or in your newsletter?Â Could you post this letter on your community boards?Â Could you have the professors communicate our need to students?Â Or you may have a better means to get the word out.
The student would gain experience and learn through the process.Â This is a volunteer position, however, if we do receive a grant through the student volunteerâ€™s effort we will gladly pay a stipend to the student for their work.
Our contact information is noted above.Â For any student interested in helping us, please contact us at 651-452-4141 and ask for Sharon.
MMDC Tribal Council
Jim Anderson, Chair
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.