A Minnesota Indian Womenâ€™s Resource
â€œTherapeutic Approaches for Clients Affected by Historical Traumaâ€
Thursday, August 7th, 2008
9:30 amÂ Â – 4:00 pm
Lunch will be provided
This workshop will take placeÂ â€˜RAIN or SHINE â€˜
Steven M. Smith, Psy.D., L.P.
Rebecca Quintela-Smith, M.A., L.P.
A Workshop for Therapists, Social Workers, Parent Educators and other Service Providers working with clients affected by recurring trauma and loss in their lives who cannot seem to overcome self-defeating behavior patterns.
This is a day long workshop that will utilize activities with horses to accomplish the learning objectives listed below.
1. Define Historical Trauma and identify its psychological effects
2. Recognize the signs of Historical Trauma in individuals
3. Identify the Cycle of Recurring Trauma & Loss
4. Learn skills to help clients restructure faulty perceptions and cognitions
5. Learn non-verbal techniques for helping clients to stop the Cycle of Recurring Trauma
This is a workshop;Â it is not designed to be a focus group or support group.Â We will not be providing anyÂ follow-up support for workshop participants.
Endorsement: Fond du Lac Tribal & Community College
Location: Spirit Ranch
13105 177th St. N.
Marine on the St. Croix , MN. 55047
Jo Lightfeather @ or email:
The MIWRC Library/Research/Clearinghouse & Training Program is supported by funding from the , Chemical Health Division.”